Important Update for HE.net Customers
This is an important update if you host your website with Hurricane Electric (HE.net) and especially if you have recently requested or authorized your website to be moved to a dedicated server.
If you are having ANY trouble sending or receiving emails, please do NOT contact Webeze. Contact HE.net support directly by sending an email to email@example.com or you can call them at (510) 580-4100. They are available 24/7.
URGENT! Please Verify Your Settings
Even if your email is currently working, it is imperative that you check ALL your (and your staff's) email configurations, including:
- Email accounts (many clients have more than one ie. support, info, employee names)
- Various computers (desktop, lap top, etc.)
- Your Mobile Phone(s)**
- Newsletter Scripts
You should NOT be referencing your IP address nor the server name anywhere in your settings. Only reference your domain name (domain.com).
Most likely you have NOT been affected by this (meaning none of the emails you have SENT have bounced back). However, If you do send an email and it is bounced back, forward the email and the error message to HE.net for further investigation/instruction. Only send ONE email bounce example (per unique recipient) please -- that is sufficient for HE.net
Setting Up Your Email Account - Please Read Carefully
Before you can set-up your email, an account needs to be set up for you, which can be done through your HE.net admin panel. It's pretty self explanatory once you login!
The account settings must be exact so please follow the screen shots below. We're using Outlook 2007 as our email client so your interface might look different, but the information will be the same. Note: passwords are case sensitive.
Next click on the More Setting Link... and then click on the Advanced Settings Tab on the top. You'll be changing the Outgoing SMTP port to 587 (I'll tell you why next):
If you would prefer to use your ISP's mail server, contact them for the correct address and do NOT change the outgoing SMTP port as noted above.
However, The benefit of following the instructions above is that when you're traveling with your laptop and want to use your own email client, you do not need to change the SMTP server name to whatever ISP settings you're currently "near."
Don't forget about Webmail -- you can check it from any computer that has Internet access (www.domain.com/webmail).
**If you use your mobile telephone to access your email, you'll want to use IMAP (not POP3) and be sure on your out-going SMTP settings you do NOT have the "log in required" checked.
What If Email Sent to Me is Bounced?
This most likely has to do with what is called Grey Listing, which simply means the first time someone sends an email to you (on the new server), the server will bounce it back in an attempt to authenticate the email. Most mail servers are configured to attempt again, at which time it should go through without any further delay. However, HE.net has no control on how other mail servers function and there is always the possibility of a temporary "glitch" on the receiving servers side. It happens...
It's also a good idea to configure your "Friends" settings. You can login here (complete email address and email password for EACH account you have):
Here you can set your Grey Listing preferences and other settings, including automatically adding to your "Friends" list anyone that you send an email to. If you want to be absolutely sure a particular person receives your email, be sure you manually add them to this list. (The "Foe" list is also helpful at times).
Hey, while you're in here, did you know you get set up vacation (out of office) email as well. It's pretty cool...try it out the next time you'll be gone for awhile and won't have access to your email.
Email Password Recovery
If you ever forget the password to your email, you can login to the HE.net admin panel and change your password. It's always a good idea to have the password emailed to you, so you have it in your records.
Please be very careful that you change your EMAIL password and not your FTP or MYSQL password. If you change the MYSQL password by accident, there's a good chance much of your site will not work until the password is reverted back to the old one.
Requesting Support From HE.net
Phone: (510) 580-4100
Before you call or email HE.net for support, please note:
- Clearly identify which domain you are having issues with (www.domain.com)
- Be prepared to provide your account credentials (account name and password -- these are NOT the same as your email address and password).
- Identify you are a Webeze client (only if you are on our private server).
- Be as detailed as possible with the issues you're having. Statements like "my email is horked" or "there's something terribly wrong" are not helpful.
- Are you having trouble sending email? Receiving email? Are people getting their emails sent to you bounced? If possible, note down any error message you are getting (or that your customer is getting -- ask them to send to you if possible) so that you can share this with the support staff.
- Always send your messages in plain text; avoid attachments (try to embed any error messages by copying and pasting into your email).
- Be patient and be courteous.
- Remember, they can only offer support for HE.net related issues; if you are having problems with your iPhone, it's best to call them direct. Likewise, they can not offer support on third-party scripts (though it never hurts to ask -- nicely!)
- Whenever possible, use email for support (unless of course you can't send email!). It provides a tracking tool for both you and the support team, allowing other team members to follow the ticket if necessary. It's always a good idea to have more than one email account for these kinds of emergencies among other reasons.
If you need support from Webeze for NON-SERVER/HOSTING issues, please use our online Support Help Desk or simply email .
Thank you for your cooperation.